Information Technology Technical Support Officer
Organization: Open Development Cambodia
Working language: English and Khmer
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Position:Information Technology Technical Support Officer
Reports to: Information Technology and Website Manager and ODC Executive Director/
Coordinates with: Information Technology and Website Manager, EWMI-ODI IT Manager,
Managing Editor and Other Staff
Open Development Cambodia manages an open data website (www.opendevcam.net), aggregating a wide range of economic, environmental and social data to build out a development portrait of Cambodia.
The Information Technology Technical Support Officer works closely with the ODC team to provide support for computer network infrastructure and other general IT issues. The role also involves developing online information resources (www.opendevcam.net) for Cambodia’s development community.
The Information Technology Technical Support Officer takes the lead role in maintaining the local IT network and PC’s for the organization; coordinating the Open Development Cambodia Website Platform management with our external host; providing technical and help desk support to system users; and providing IT advice to the IT Website manager, EWMI-ODI IT Manager and Managing Editor.
Note: the local and remote network is physically shared by both ODC and the Regional ODI network. As such, support activities related to network maintenance, PC support and user support will cover both ODC and ODI personnel and IT.
- Ensure the proper functioning and maintenance of IT hardware and software applications such as Windows Server and Client as well as Antivirus, Email client and other programs in use.
- Ensure all data on servers is backed up regularly and test backup files to make sure that all data will be working properly.
- Manage & troubleshoot networks, internet connectivity and file sharing to ensure efficient use throughout the organization.
- Ensure that software and applications used in the organization are licensed or open source.
- Manage, maintain and oversee user access rights, computer security and Antivirus precautions.
- Install, configure, and maintain computers, file servers, network cabling, and other related equipment, devices, and systems; add or upgrade hardware & software and configure routers, wireless access points, scanners, printers, and related equipment.
- Troubleshoot problems as reported by users and automated network monitoring systems; Make recommendations for enhancements in the implementation of future servers and networks; Keep a log of all IT problems with fixed resolutions.
- Assist the ODC IT and Website Manager with ensuring maintenance and optimization of the Open Development Cambodia in-house server for both back-end and front-end efficiency and security.
- Support the technical aspects of the ODC website, including guiding, directing and monitoring staff in data entry to the WordPress and CKAN platform, as needed.
- Train, guide and advise ODC staff members on WordPress, CKAN, Geoserver and other software as needed.
- Assist ODC staff in uploading spatial and non-spatial data to the database, website and Geoserver, in a timely way.
- Assist in designing the ODC web template, promotional and presentation materials as well as infographics, as needed.
- In consultation with the ODC IT and Website Manager, identify and recommend software solutions to address particular design, mapping or data visualization issues and guide staff in their applications.
- Maintain social media accounts, identify and resolve any technical problems associated with them.
- Track and monitor website and social media analytics.
- Develop technical skills of self and team to apply to ODC, as appropriate.
- Represent ODC at community and professional functions.
- Perform other tasks, as needed or assigned by ODC Executive Director/Editor-in-Chief and Information Technology and Website Manager.
- Degree in computer science or equivalent experience or skills
- At least 2 to 3 years work experience in an IT position performing similar duties as required by this position
- Experience maintaining Server, PC, network and mobile hardware and software – Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, iOS and Android
- Experience operating/maintaining GPS and A/V equipment, including digital projectors, a plus
- Working knowledge of Networking (WAN & LAN) and troubleshooting
- Some demonstrated skills in designing, coding and website development a plus
- Good problem solving, planning & interpersonal skills
- Strong commitment to objective and neutral data standards
- Ability to work in both Khmer and English; including good writing and reporting skills
- Strong sense of responsibility with good analytical skills; flexible and detail-minded
- Experience with social media (Facebook, twitter, etc) a plus
- Knowledge of Google Analytic Reports a plus
- Knowledge of Github is appreciated
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Understanding of and interest in developmental, economic and/or environmental issues a plus
- Willingness to respect and work with ODC principles, and the ODC code of conduct
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, a detailed CV with two references, and a research writing sample using the contact details below.
Deadline for submitting applications is on 04 February, 2016 at 12 midnight. Women are encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted by email ONLY: firstname.lastname@example.org